Cathedral of the Intercession

Cathedral of the Intercession is one of the most ancient ones in Tambov. The earliest record of it dates back to 1658. This church was built in honor of the foundation and consecration of Tambov on the day of the Intercession of the Holy Mother of God on October, 14, 1637. The new two-storey stone church was built instead of the burnt wooden one in 1763-1768.  The architect whose name is unknown designed the cathedral in the Russian-Byzantine style. In 1903, the church of the Intercession was assigned to the military department as a regimental church of the 7th Reserve Cavalry Regiment.

In 1918, the church was closed and until 1943 this monument of history and architecture had been used as a hostel and cellarage. In 1937, the clergy of the Intercession church was convicted of counterrevolutionary activity. Most church attendants were sentenced to the forced labor works while priest Fyodor Chechetkin was executed by shooting.

The cathedral of the Intercession became the first revived church in Tambov diocese. Until the 1990s, it had had a status of Tambov cathedral. The upper altar was consecrated in honor of the Intercession of the Holy Mother of God, the lower one – in honor of the Reverend Seraphim of Sarov. The church is also known for the fact that Saint Luke (Voyno-Yasenetsky) had been serving here in 1944-1946 upon his come back from the exile. During his service in the Intercession church, the reverence of the icon of the Mother of God of Tambov (Utkin’s) was restored. A large carved icon-case was arranged in the lower altar for this purpose. Other hallowed icons in the cathedral are the Icon of the Mother of God "Consolation of All Who Sorrow" and "It is truly meet", the icons of the Reverend Seraphim of Sarov and Great Martyr Panteleimon. The domestic baptismal church of St. Theophan the Recluse consecrated on the day of his canonization was arranged next to the cathedral.           

Today, the reconstruction works are being held near the walls of the Intercession cathedral to restore the largest and most beautiful Tambov church – Novo-Pokrovsky cathedral originally built in 1867 and destroyed in 1938.

5, Kronstadtskaya Square, Tambov, Tambov region
+7 (4752) 72-70-02
Уточняйте стоимость по телефонам контактной линии
Уточняйте о проходящих экскурсиях по телефонам контактной линии

Comments (0)

Allowed tags: <b><i><br>Add a new comment: