Cossacks founded Uvarovo village in 1699. Uvarovo wooden church was built in 1702. In the middle of the 19th century Uvarovo became a large trade and industrial center.
The stone church with 20 m high bell tower was opened in 1840. Even back then the church had calorific heating. The construction was funded by the parishioners. Almost 5 000 people contributed to the construction. It had two altars: one altar was consecrated in the name of the Nativity of Christ while the other one – in honor of St. Michael the Archangel.
After canonization of elder Seraphim of Sarov, the third altar in the church was consecrated in his name.
The church was closed in 1937 and brought back to the believers only in 1991. That is when the reconstruction works started.
At present the church is the cathedral church of Uvarovo.